Thursday, April 11, 2013

Week Eleven: Spring Closings

Namaskar (greetings) Everyone!

     This week I focused on the stores that have closed down and the new stores that have opened in their place. There have been numerous new stores that have opened between California and Talman on Devon Ave. There has been a plethora of primarily restaurants and herbal stores that have opened up. Something interesting I found out was that many of these stores are the exact same as the one that was there prior. Simply the name and management has changed. A few years ago this area used to be home to predominantly Russian businesses, but there has been a decline in the recent years. I wonder if this is due to the fact that Russian residents are moving out of the area.

   I also ventured away from Devon Ave itself and noticed there were several American chain stores being established. For example, a new Walgreen and Chase Bank were built just south of Devon Ave on Western. Another store is estimated to be built this summer there as well. There is also a Starbucks scheduled to open near Broadway and Devon Ave. I recently spoke to a CAPS police officer and he stated that gentrification and the opening of these stores are good for the neighborhood. I beg to differ. There is a certain authenticity and feel to this neighborhood. I hope it remains. I enjoy going to family owned businesses and chatting with the owners in my native language. It creates a sense of home. I do not want this neighborhood to become identical to another. I want it to remain unique. The police officer also notified me that there have been plans made to add a series of murals near California and Devon and will be financed by the City of Chicago.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment