Friday, February 1, 2013

Week Three: Visit to the Chicago History Museum pt.1

Namaskar (greetings) everyone!

This week I went to visit the archival section at the Chicago History Museum. Unfortunately, the archives were occupied to capacity and I was not allowed to enter. I had to make an appointment for next week. I let them know that I was interested in pictures and artifacts pertaining to the West Rogers Park and West Ridge neighborhood because Devon Ave. covers all of these neighborhoods. My visit was not in vain though. As I was leaving, I noticed a mural or pictures taken from different neighborhoods in Chicago. As my eyes scanned through the colorful pictures, I came across two taken on Devon Ave. in 1999. I quickly took the pictures and scurried out of the museum before the security guard could decipher what I had done. Below are the two pictures and a little background information. I apologize for the blurry quality, but I was attempting to not get caught.

This is a picture of the annual Indian Independence Day Parade in 1999. The parade is always held on a Saturday around the Indian Independence Day which is August 15 and still continues to this day. It is organized by the Federation of Indian Associations.  The parade procession usually begins near Warren Park on Devon and Western and goes west and ends on Devon and California. The parade is not only attended by the Indian community, but notable politicians and community members from Chicago. Notable Indian celebrities also make guest appearances. President Barack Obama even visited when he was a Senator! After the parade, there is always a cultural show and festival at Warren Park. The parade continues to this day, but the amount of parade floats have decreased in size over the years. For example, the Bengali Association of Greater Chicago can not afford to rent a float for the increasing prices. Now most of the floats are organized by banks, large businesses and religious organizations. A great deal or pride swept over me when I saw this picture because I have taken part in this parade since I was two years old with my parents. I no longer ride on the float, but my mom and aunts continue the tradition. Even though the floats have decreased in number the parade continues and hundreds of people visit and take part in it. Indian residents who have moved, come back to partake in the celebrations. It is encouraging that the tradition has not changed in the last two decades.

Right next to the Indian Independence Parade picture was a picture of a Russian bookstore taken in 1999. This shows that Devon Ave is not merely home to one ethnic group, but several. The bookstore represents the Russian community in the neighborhood. The bookstore is still there today, but there are several other Russian stores that have closed down in recent years. This may be because there has been increasing emigration to the suburbs. In 1999, there was a significant Russian population because the local elementary school I attended had bilingual Hindi and Russian classes. There was no longer a Russian bilingual class when I graduated in 2006. In less than a decade there was a significant change in demographics and this shows in the closing of several Russian shops. I wonder if the mural was updated, if there would be a picture representing the Russian community at all on Devon Ave.

Next week, I will finally be able to begin my research in archives, so please stay tuned!





1 comment:

  1. Great furtive picture taking! Historians will stop at nothing to get the source material they need!

    ReplyDelete